22 - 25 April 2008.
Visthar, Bangalore, India
Global Citizens for Sustainable Development, Bangalore, India is organizing a workshop on the theme "Intergenerational Partnership for Climate Change Mitigation" to be held at Visthar between 22nd April – 25th April 2008. This workshop is supported by Center for Environment Education (Ahemdabad, India), South Asia Youth Environment Network, Fair Climate Network, China-India Forum, Charter of Human Responsibilities, Friendship Foundation, Earth Charter Youth Initiative and many other organization which feel that there is a need for Intergenerational partnerships to work towards Climate Change Mitigation. The workshop is also a follow up of the ICEE conference (www.tbilisiplus30. org) held at Ahemdabad in November 2007 which brought together individuals and representatives from various youth and environment related networks, and has effectively demonstrated the efficacy of education as a tool. Youth participants have felt the need to sustain this effort to integrate education into sustainable development. Participants have acknowledged the need to create a convergence amongst networks especially youth network through steadfast and resolute action, in order to fight against climate change and to propagate the values and principles of sustainable development.
In our collective efforts to mitigate Climate Change, this workshop will focus on in-depth understanding of pro-poor Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) projects undertaken by grassroots organization in India. The workshop participants will get an oppurtunity to visit a CDM project.
During this workshop, we are also rejuvenating the Asia-Pacific Alliance which will be an alliance of Intergenerational Partnership for Sustainability. The Alliance will discuss, propose and motivate citizens in Asia-Pacific and globally to act towards many such themes which require urgent attention and an intergenerational partnership effort.
Participants at this workshop will include:
1. Representatives from or associated with any environmental and youth network across the world, especially from Asia
2. Teachers, educationist and social activist working on ESD
3. NGO, CSO and intergovernmental agency representatives
4. Individuals with an interest in climate change and ESD related issues
5. Participants from the ICEE conference held in Ahemdabad in November 2007
The objectives of this workshop are:
1. To establish a mandate for the alliance for working towards SD through contributing to the fight against climate change
2. To create an educational guidebook on climate change, which incorporates the goals and fulfils the objectives of ESD
3. To consult various stakeholders, including civil society representatives, students and youth participants, on the content of the book
4. To solicit inputs for similar upcoming initiatives on ESD and climate change
5. To disseminate the content of the guidebook amongst stakeholders
The expected outcomes of the workshop are:
1. A global alliance on ESD and climate change with a clear mandate conforming to the values of SD.
2. An Educational Guidebook/Training module on Climate Change, containing information on causes, potential impacts and remedial measures with focus on Clean Development Mechanism (CDM).
Workshop Coordinators : Anugraha John (Global Citizens for Sustainable Development) , Vikram Aditya (Friendship Foundation) and Aparna Susarla (Center for Environment Education).
For further information please contact:
P.O. Box 3210, R.T Nagar Post.Bangalore 560032. INDIA. Telephone: +91-9448192010.
Email: ajohn316@globalciti zens.org.in