Sun Yat-sen (Zhongshan) University, which is located in Guangzhou, was founded by Dr. Sun Yat-sen in 1924, the great pioneer of the Chinese democratic revolution. It is a multi-disciplinary institution, ranking as one of the major universities in China and the top in South China. On October 26, 2001, the former Zhongshan University and former Sun Yat-sen University of Medical Sciences were merged into a new Sun Yat-sen（Zhongshan）University.
The university offers an extensive range of curricula covering the fields of natural science, humanities, social science, medical sciences, technology and managerial science.
Ⅰ. Admission Requirements
1. An Applicant for the master’s degree should have a bachelor’s degree or have completed undergraduate programs while an applicant for the doctorate degree should be a master’s degree holder or have completed the postgraduate programs. The applicant should be under the age of 45 and in good health;
2. The applicant should not be a college student in China at the time of application;
3. Those who intend to study sciences and technology or medical sciences and who will receive class instruction in Chinese should have the Chinese Language Proficiency Certificate of Band 4 or above for the HSK (Chinese Proficiency Test); Those who intend to major in liberal arts or management and who will receive class instruction in Chinese medium should have the Chinese Language proficiency Certificate of Band 6 or above for the HSK (Chinese Proficiency Test)；
4. Scores for the specialized courses, on a hundred-percent basis, should be above 70 while scores for the basic courses should be above the passing grade. The specific decisions will be made by the tutors, under the supervision of the departments or colleges concerned and the graduate school.
5. Those who will receive class instruction in Chinese but whose Chinese language proficiency has not met the requirements at the time of admission will be provided with the arrangement to study Chinese for a year.
6. Those tutors and departments that are capable of giving instructions in English can enroll students from English speaking countries and instruct them in English.
7. It is required that only those can be enrolled who, according to the stipulation of the Chinese government, be from the countries that permit the applicants to go through the routine visa application procedures smoothly.
8. The applicant must have the good behavior.
Ⅱ. The Length of Schooling
Three years for both M.A /MS candidates and Ph. D candidates (exclusive of training in Chinese language ).
Ⅲ. The Treatment for the Chinese Government Scholarship
1. Tuition : Waived.
2. Cost for two-bed-room accommodation: free of charge.
3. Living expenses ：RMB1100 per month for a M.A /M.S candidate and RMB1400 Yuan for a Ph. D candidate.
4. Fees for textbooks: RMB500 each person annually.
5. Medical insurance: the same as the Chinese college students.
6. Round-trip Traveling Expenses: c/o student
Ⅳ. Application Materials
1. A xerox copy of the certificate for the degree and a copy of the record of the schooling；
2. A xerox copy of the transcript for the BA/BS or MA/MS;
3. A research plan；
4. Two references from two professors or associate professors;
5. A xerox copy of the valid passport (Photo page);
6. A xerox copy of the certificate for Chinese Proficiency Test (HSK);
7. Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship (can be downloaded from the website： http://www.csc.edu.cn (for the China Scholarship Council - CSC).
8. Application Form for International Students at Sun Yat-sen University (can be downloaded from the website of the university: http://www.sysu.edu.cn/2003/zsjy/hwlxs.htm
9. The Physical Examination Record For Foreigner (can be downloaded from the website：http://www.csc.edu.cn (for The China Scholarship Council - CSC).
Ⅴ. Application Period
April 10th to May 20th
Ⅵ. The time to enter the school
August 25th to September 3rd
1. Liberal arts & Sciences: Tel: 0086-20-84110819,
2. Medical Sciences： Tel: 0086-20-87331675 email@example.com
3. Mailing address: Office for International Students’ Affairs, Sun Yat-sen University, #135 Xingang Xi Rd.,Guangzhou, China
4. Website of Sun Yat-sen University: http://www.sysu.edu.cn