Wednesday, May 23, 2007
42nd International Youth Camp
9-19 August 2007
What is the International Youth Camp (IYC)?
In response to the recommendation to emphasize youth programmes put forth by the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) at the 13th session of its General Conference, the Korean National Commission for UNESCO (KNCU) launched in 1966 the International Youth Camp (IYC), which has since become an annual tradition of the KNCU. Since its inception, IYC has enriched the lives of approximately 4,000 youths from over 80 countries through programmes designed to foster international understanding and promote peace, human rights, cultural diversity, and sustainable development.
The 42nd International Youth Camp
Under the theme “Unite Youth, Create Change” the 42nd International Youth Camp will focus on the ‘change’ that youth can bring about in society. Young people, with their energy, passion, creativity and idealism, have the enormous potential to turn their common vision of positive social change into a reality. Recognizing their invaluable partnership role, IYC calls on youth to participate and take action today. Through various programmes such as thematic workshops, intercultural exchanges, field studies, and discussions on global and local issues, the 11-day camp will be a multicultural encounter and meeting point for young people from different national, ethnic, cultural, religious and socio-economic backgrounds. In keeping with annual tradition, this year’s camp will continue to serve as an opportunity for participants to realize their own vision for the future by working with others toward the common goal of creating a more just and sustainable world.
Information for Applicants
● Theme: Unite Youth, Create Change!
● Date: 9-19 August 2007
● Venue: Korea UNESCO Peace Center in Icheon, Gyeonggi Province & 11 Field Study Sites
● Participants: 120 (30 Koreans, 90 International)
● Requirements for Participation
- Age: Young people between 18-27 years old.
- Language: The official language of the camp will be English. Campers need not be fluent but must be able to communicate reasonably well in English.
- Participation fee: US$250 must be paid upon registration at the camp. The fee covers the cost of accommodations and meals. Please note that the fee does not include transportation costs to the meeting point in Seoul.
● Application / Notification of Selection
- Applicants must send their completed application form and letter of motivation to the Korean National Commission for UNESCO by mail, fax, or email no later than 13 July. The application form is available for download at: http://youth.unesco.or.kr/iyc
- All applications will undergo a thorough review process. Upon notification of their selection, campers and their sponsoring organizations will be sent further information about IYC. Please note that individuals without sponsorship are also welcome to apply.
Each participant will be awarded a certificate of completion upon conclusion of the camp.
for more info:
or for application forms: